One of the first protective lessons I learned was a very simple one that has stayed with me for many years. It was to call your Guide and Guardian, otherwise known as the Ward. Now this can become a very involved topic where I could go off on a tangent and start comparing it with the Fetch beast and all sorts of things, but I will refrain as I have found the entity that comes during this ritual is not the same as my Fetch Beast.
The ritual I did was simple, although I don’t remember all of the steps as it was a very long time ago, but it has the same outcome as one which is mentioned in Druid Magic by Maya Magee Sutton Ph.D and Nicholas R. Mann. Very good book by the way. It is simple and straight forward but discusses the aspects of Druidry and Celtic Spirituality in a very solid manner.
The ritual goes as such, or as I remember it and present it to people who have great success with it.
· Sit quietly facing the East and centre yourself. You can perform the Active Meditation to get you into the proper state of mind and being.
· When ready, imagine a white pillar in the south-east, then a black pillar in the south-west, another white pillar in the north-west and finally a black pillar in the north-east.
· Imagine a black and white checkered floor extending between the pillars with you in the centre.
· Build up that visualization and then put up a wall of energy between all the pillars so that you are basically inside a room with a checkered floor, four pillars at the corners and energy forming the four walls. I usually like to imagine this kind of energy as being like a force-field from a sci-fi movie, so I also hear the whaaa as it goes up and then buzzes. I find that sci-fi imagery helps a great deal in magic, so don’t laugh.
· Then when you are ready, all you do is ask your Ward to come to you as you would like to meet it.
· Wait a while and eventually it will come.
If it appears that the Ward doesn’t arrive, then just stop the ritual and try it another time. The Ward is always with you, but it is usually out of sight because we seldom consider it to be a part of our lives. The fact that the Ward didn’t come to meet you may just be because you were not in the correct state or frame of mind, but it is there.
Now the manner in which this Ward can present itself is usually of a nature that you really wouldn’t expect, so keep your mind open to any possibility. You can also do this for other people or locations such as your house. Just imagine them in the centre of the room you create around them and ask their Ward to come. I did this for my daughter some years back when she was still a baby and was rather ill with flu. When I called the Ward I saw ivy growing all around her, covering the room I had created. At the time I didn’t know about the magical properties of ivy, so I went looking and much to my surprise, found that it is a protective plant. If it is a building you need to protect, just build the pillars and area around the building itself. There are no limitations.